Use the following steps to create a SharePoint 2010 Web Application.
1) Go to Central Administration -> Manage Web Applications.
2) Click on the New button in the ribbon.
3) Create the website (name it something that's relevant, and I recommend appending the port at the end like intranet.com80)
4) Use Port 80
5) Setup a host header with the same as the website (intranet.com).
6) The Path will be automatically filled in with the Host Header and Port (intranet.com:80)
7) Make the Public URL the same as the host header.
8) Name the applicaiton pool the same as the website.
9) Name the Database WSS_Content_Intranet
10) Press okay and voila!