Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Web Part Report: Third Party Web Parts showing as "ErrorWebPart"

I found this great post to loop through our sites and get a list of web parts:

http://www.glynblogs.com/2011/07/listing-all-web-parts-in-a-site-collection-with-powershell.html

Though when I viewed the report, I noticed that many of our Bamboo web parts (e.g. particular AlertPlus and SPGridView and others) were showing up as "Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ErrorWebPart".

Turns out that though there are many related assemblies in the GAC, the actual web part assemblies are not in the GAC. So just do a search for the DLLs you'd like, (In my case I dragged the Bamboo.AlertPlus.dll from the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\bin to the GAC), closed and reopened PowerShell, re-ran the above script and was on my way with a useful report!

-Sean

1 comment:

Leslie Lim said...

First time I commented in a blog! I really enjoy it. You have an awesome post. Please do more articles like this. I'm gonna come back surely. God bless.

Rica
www.imarksweb.org